Sunday, July 6, 2008

There is no place like home


Every year before we go on vacation the anticipation builds. The preparation, the excitement, the planning is always something that makes going away special. Then you finally get to your destination. While at your vacation destination you build memories, relax, hang out with friends, EAT, EAT, and EAT some more, laugh, take in the beauty of the ocean, and watch the kids run around and have a ball.

Then it is time to come home. I always think that when vacation is over I will be sad and not want to come home. However, that never happens. I am always ready to go home and get back to the normal routine of life. That is the beauty of vacation. You look forward to it. You enjoy it. But then it is time to go home and it makes you appreciate things so much more.

As we pulled into our driveway yesterday afternoon, it felt so good. We had a wonderful week, packed with memories and great weather. Yet - it felt so good to push our garage door opener and pull into our garage and walk into our house.

It is always good to get away. I truly believe that our family should take at least 1 vacation a year. As we watched the kids play all week, Janis made a comment about how lucky these kids have it. It is so true. They have no idea. Some kids don't get to go away. Some kids have never seen the ocean. Maddie is 3. This was our 4th year going away as a family with our group of friends. She has grown up doing this and she looks forward to it as much as Brian and I do. She is a lucky girl to be able to be carefree, running around in the sand, making new memories. When I was young, my parents and I went to Kennebunkport, Maine. We always stayed in the same beach house and we did the same things year after year. It was great. It was our annual trip to the ocean and those are memories that no one can take away. I need to give Maddie the same gift that my parents gave me. She deserves it.

So - we went to Avalon. We played hard. We had fun. We came home. And - I wasn't sad to leave. I felt ready to conquer normal life again. That is what vacation is all about. Getting away. Coming home. Realizing that there is truly no place like home.


No comments: