Monday, November 8, 2010

Testing out the Garmin

I always say that tthe best way to learn how to use something is to just get out there and use it. Forget the directions. I need to just use it and learn full hands-on. My Garmin arrived late last week and I hadn't gotten a chance to use it all weekend. I had it set in my mind that I would test it out on Monday.

Unfortunately I woke up to some nasty sleet. I pondered for a while and then I decided that I wasn't going to let any nasty weather hold me back from running outside to test out my new Garmin. So off I went to get dressed in some serious layers. I went out the door with gloves, my running head band, running pants and 3 layers of tops. I was prepared. I turned the Garmin on and waited while it "acquired the satellites." It told me it was ready and I hit the "start" button and I was off.

The cool thing about it was that it old me my pace, my mileage and my overall time. All I had to do was glance down and everything was nice and big for me to see. It was invigorating. I loved not having to stick to my normal boring loop. I actually ventured out on the main road and didn't have to worry about how far or not far I was going. I just ran and let the Garmin tell me. When I was finished, I had completed 3.1 miles.

And the pelting sleet didn't ruin the run at all. It was great! I can't wait to use it again.

No comments: