Tuesday, July 19, 2011

No - It's not my fault

Today was Aidan's first day of camp. Miss Lynne from his daycare is on vacation this week - so I signed him for up a 3 day camp that runs from 9 - noon. I dropped him off a little before 9 and I was on my way home, happily singing to the radio, thinking about my work that I had to get done before noon.

I was following a cop. I was watching my speed. I wasn't even talking on the phone! I was being a good driver. All of a sudden, the cop pulled over to the right hand shoulder. I proceeded to move a little to the left to go around him. But - wait. The cop was suddenly making a u-turn and pulling INTO my car as I was passing him.

I laid on the horn. It was too late. He slammed into my passenger side bumper. I was stunned. Somehow, I got the car over to the shoulder and sat there for a minute. This was not good. A cop had just HIT me. He came up to my window and said, "Are you okay?" I answered him that I was. Then the next thing he said to me was, "What were you thinking of passing me on a double yellow line?"





I looked at him and was shocked. I said to him, "You were pulled over on the shoulder! I was going around you when you pulled a u-turn into traffic and HIT me. I didn't do anything wrong."

We went back and forth for a bit and then I started crying. Because - you know - that's what I do in these situations. I sob. And I cry. And I cry some more. Then I called Chet (our insurance agent.) Then I called Brian. And then I cried. And I cried some more.

Then another cop pulled up to take the police report. Along the way, one of the cops took my AAA card and called AAA. Meanwhile, the cop taking the police report told me that the accident report would indicate that I was at fault. I started to cry some more. How was I at fault?? This cop pulled into oncoming traffic without any signal and hit me!

Meanwhile, Brian told me to take photos with my phone. So I did. I took photos of my car and the cop car. Just so I had them for my files. Because obviously we were going to have to fight this.

The AAA guy showed up, changed my tire and I was able to drive the car away. Brian followed me home and we started dealing with calling the adjuster for an estimate and all that fun stuff that you have to do when a cop hits you and then blames you. Oh the fun.

Anyway - after a 3.2 mile run, I feel much better. I will leave it to Allstate to fight for me and hopefully we will win.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

Oh no! I hope you are just fine. Let the insurance fight for you. I do hope you win.