Sunday, July 15, 2012

Birthday party week

It's party week here at the Graber household. Finally. Brian's 40th birthday party is on Saturday, and it can't get here soon enough. I feel like all I have done is obsess think about this party for weeks.

Thankfully, I have had some great friends to coach me along. They have talked me through the menu, the drinks, and the overall logistics. (Thank you Kara, Janis, and Felice!)

We are having about 60 people and my number one worry was the weather. I really didn't want to spend $300 on a tent rental if I didn't need it. So - I hoped and prayed that we would have good weather. Right now, the forecast is looking beautiful! I am so happy about that. Please let it stay that way!

My other worry was the food. Way back when, Brian kept telling me that all we needed was nuts and chips, and beer. Ummmmm. That was a negative. I had to explain to him that there was no way in hell that we could have 60 people to our house and feed them nuts. Yeah. So, I had to basically look to my girlfriends for menu advice, since Brian clearly wasn't offering me any sane advice. Right now, the menu is looking good, and I just hope to pull it all together on Saturday and figure out which things will go in crock pots, and which things will go in the sterno pans.

These are my little label cards that will tell people
 what is in each crock pot.
My other worry was the alcohol. Did I want to get into mixed drinks and have all types of liquor? Nah. So we decided that we are having 2 kegs, wine and other malt beverages in bottles. It should be fine. Of course, then there is the issue of ice. Good thing we have the freezer chest. We can store a lot of ice in there and use it throughout the party.

Another minor issue was lighting. The party starts at 7. It will get dark around 8:30. So - I need some nice lighting. Right?  Here is my solution! Candles in canning jars with sand on the bottom. How cute! They will be placed on various tables throughout the yard. We also plan to string some white Christmas tree lights around the swing set to create more light.

My cute table topper lights! 
I also made a few photo boards of Brian. I have to admit - that was the fun part. I think it will make a great conversation piece as people look at photos of Brian as a little kid, and then as a crazy teen!

I think it's slowly coming together. But, let me tell you - that I can't wait for it to get here so I can stop worrying.

Let the party week begin!

No comments: