Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Lessons learned at Aldi

So if you remember, I wrote about my first shopping experience at Aldi. You can read about it here.

Anyway. since my shopping trip, I have learned some lessons.

I guess I should start with the all natural turkey breast. Let's just say that I was highly disappointed. I served it to my parents on the Friday after Thanksgiving and it was not what I expected. It reminded me of a ham steak. I had a few bites and I couldn't even finish it. The package said it was all natural with no fillers. When we cut into it, I didn't even think it looked like a turkey! Very disappointing indeed. My husband said it wasn't that bad, but I thought it was awful. Let's just say, we weren't eating any turkey leftovers after that meal.

After the turkey breast disaster, I decided that I need to stick to the basics at Aldi. Today, I went back and purchased snack food. I found tortilla chips that were all natural. I also bought the frozen waffles. I had bought those last time and my kids seem to like them.

The thing that I was most excited about was the salsa. They have fresh salsa in the refrigerated section, and I decided to try it out. I brought it home and Brian and I had a pre-dinner snack. We loved it! It had a fresh lime taste with tons of cilantro. I actually had bought some salsa last week at the Fresh Market and the Aldi salsa was way better.  I also tried their hummus. That was pretty good too. And I should mention that their pita chips are fabulous!

So, my main lesson learned is that I need to keep trying things. Not everything in Aldi is something that will work out for my family. However, there are things there that I will incorporate into my weekly shopping trips. It is worth it.



No comments: