Friday, July 5, 2013

Grainless update

It has almost been a full two weeks without grains. No bread. No pasta. No carbs. Limited sugar.
Yup.
And, I have to admit, that it isn't that bad.

Okay. The first 3-4 days were kind of bad. I missed my bread. I missed my PB&J. I was a bit cranky.
But then, I got used to it. And I kind of just accepted it. And now, dare I say, that it's almost a habit?

It has been a learning process, and I have gotten somewhat creative with our meals.

One night we had pancakes. The kids had regular pancakes, and I whipped up some Paleo pancakes. The ingredients included almond flour, eggs and water. I also mashed some bananas in the batter. I admit that it didn't taste like the real thing. But, it was a good substitute, and it made us feel like we were having a treat.

I have also been craving some spaghetti and meatballs. The answer: spaghetti squash. Yup. I roasted some spaghetti squash and when it was done, I scraped the squash out and it looked just like spaghetti! I served it with some sauce and meatballs (without bread crumbs), and I felt like I was having some real spaghetti!

I have never worked with spaghetti squash. Before tonight, I don't think I ever ate it. I am happy to say, that after watching a few You Tube videos, I learned all I needed to know about roasting squash.

Spaghetti squash

Another recipe I tried was Paleo bread. I was craving something that had the look and texture of real bread. So, I whipped up some bread that was made with almond flour, flax meal, and eggs and water. And it actually tasted pretty good when it was toasted.

Paleo bread
Another fun thing that I made was fried bananas. I took some coconut oil, heated it in a skillet, and then I sliced some bananas. I put them in the skillet for about 3 minutes on each side. I drizzled it with some cinnamon and maple syrup. It was delicious!

So - how do I feel after almost two weeks? Well, I wish I could say I feel fantastic. But, my energy is still low. Especially when I run. I am waiting for the 14 day mark, and I hope I will feel much better.
I will say that I do feel less bloated and a bit slimmed down.

It has been an interesting 12 days...We shall see what happens during the next two weeks.

No comments: