Saturday, April 1, 2017

Puppy training part 2

Rooney is almost 4 months old! He has been with us now since February 3rd. In a way, I can't believe it has only been 2 months since he joined our family. It feels like we have always had him.

The month of March was a little rough because we had 2 feet of snow dumped on us. We were still in the middle of house training. But around that time, I feel like something clicked. He actually stopped having accidents in the house. I thought the mounds of snow would hinder his potty training progress, but instead, he seemed to finally be learning. He still has had 1 or 2 accidents - but I would say he is 95% house trained! Yay Rooney! And for the record - the accidents happen on Brian's watch. He never has an accident when I am around. Just sayin.

He also has gotten a lot bigger. He weighs almost 12 pounds now and he actually is taller than Gracie. (When he came home - he was 5 pounds and much smaller than Gracie). We are happy that he is getting bigger - as we wanted him to be double the size of Gracie. He still has time to grow - so we are keeping our fingers crossed that he continues to pack on the pounds.

He is very good natured. He likes to snuggle (when he is not not trying to chew my arm from teething). He goes right to bed at night and doesn't make a peep. If I am in the kitchen cooking, he wanders in, plops himself down and just keeps me company. He gives endless kisses, loves the kids, and is incredibly smart. He is my dream doggy.

He continues to ring the bell to go outside. We are also working on "stay" and "come." And I am researching ways to have him retrieve items and bring them to me. That seems like a lot of work though. So that might not happen.

Even Gracie has taking a liking to him. More often than not, I catch them nuzzling each other and playing. Gracie's tail actually wags when she plays with him. I think it is giving her some spunk which isn't a bad thing for a 14 year old dog.

All in all - we love the little guy. He is the perfect addition to our family.








No comments: