Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Jeans

I am constantly in search for the perfect pair of jeans. Most people have at least 5 pairs of jeans. In fact, my very own husband has at least 10 pairs of jeans. Imagine that. A man having 10 pairs of jeans. Is he for real? Yup. And the funny part about it is that they are all hung neatly in our closet, on hangers - in a neat and orderly fashion.

As for me? My jeans are folded and stuffed in a drawer. I only have 3 pairs. One of which I hardly wear. The other, I haven't worn in years. But, I keep thinking that I will like them - but I don't - so I should probably just get rid of them. The third pair, I wear a lot - but they are not great jeans. They don't make me feel snazzy and they lack "oomph." They are more like my " mom" jeans.

Anyway - I went on a mission to find the perfect pair of jeans. I started at Banana Republic. I didn't end up buying the jeans there. However, I did learn from the nice sales guy that I was wearing the wrong size. I asked for a size X and he dutifully brought me all the jeans in that size. After much evaluation of why the jeans weren't looking so good, he claimed that I was wearing my jeans too big! Imagine that. Really?? No way. He brought me the next size down, and after trying on at least 5 pairs in that smaller size, I had to admit that he was right. I didn't want to belive him at first, but he convinced me. However, that still didn't make me like the price of the jeans there. At $98 a pop, I just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on jeans.

I went on to the next store which happened to be Ann Taylor Loft. I found some cute jeans in there to try on and learning my lesson from Banana Republic, I reached for the smaller size. By golly, he was right again! The smaller size looked a hell of a lot better on me than the previous size. I still wasn't ready to make the purchse, though.

Which brings me to the Gap. Ahhhh. The Gap. Thank goodness for those manequins which modeled all the different type of jeans. This made it very easy to see the type of jeans that I knew would be good for me. I reached for the "Very Sexy Boot Cut" and tried them on. Bingo!!! We have a winner. They were the jeans that I was looking for. Tight and fitted - but not too tight. They were flattering to my figure and they didn't cost $98 like the ones in Banana Republic. And yes, I bought the smaller size.

So, the moral of this story is that I have been buying the wrong size for years. No wonder I thought I looked frumpy. I was wearing my pants too big. That can never be a good thing. From now on, I will reach for the smaller size and wear it proudly!

No comments: