Friday, February 5, 2010

Why pay to rent a movie?

Did you know that you can rent movies at the library? Not a lot of people know this. I would think it's fairly obvious. However, when I mention this to people, they look at me like I have four heads. I am not sure why this is. Perhaps they think the library only has older movies. Or, perhaps they think that libraries are only for books. Not so, my friends. Definitely not so. You can also borrow CD's, magazines and museum tickets!

Anyway. Back to my main point. A library is a wonderful place to find movies. I have a little routine that I go through so I can make sure I get the newest movies. Every few weeks or so, I go on Netflix.com. I search under the "New Releases" section and write down all the new movies that I would like to see. Then, I go to the Upper Hudson Library System web site. In case you don't know what that is - it's a web site that has all the libraries in Rensselaer and Albany county. (Just for your info - that is roughly about 35 libraries!)

Next, I go into their online catalog and request the new movies that I saw advertised on Netflix. I request it to go to the library of my choice. When the movie comes in, I get an email. How easy is that? The other cool thing is that I can drop off the movie at any library in Albany or Rensselaer county. If I am over in Colonie, I can drop my movie off at the Colonie Town Library. I don't have to return it at the library that I checked it out. How convenient. It's simply brilliant. They make it so easy.

The one drawback is that sometimes you have to wait a little while to get a movie. But - eventually they come in. The best part - is that it's free! We haven't paid to rent a movie in a long time. It's great. Try it.

Click here to see for yourself.

No comments: