Friday, March 12, 2010

Calorie counts

Today I was at the Cheesecake Factory for a lunch meeting. My boss was in town, along with two of my colleagues. Let me just preface this with the fact that I really like the Cheesecake Factory. It's just yummy. Huge portions, good food and great cheesecake. Let me also tell you that normally, I do not like cheesecake. I will only eat it when I am at the Cheesecake Factory. I don't know why. But -it's just something I do.

Anyway, as I was browsing through their menu, I noticed something. Something very small. But - very clear. The amount of calories were listed next to each item. I had heard about this on the radio and when I first heard it, I didn't think it was a big deal. But - after I physically saw all those calories written in black and white - it kind of brought some feelings that I don't want to feel when I am out to lunch. The feeling was GUILT! I really don't want to feel guilty when I go out to eat. For goodness sake, I don't eat out that often. So the last thing I want is to have calorie numbers dancing through my head as I try to enjoy my meal.

I ordered the fish tacos - which by the way were about 1500 calories. Really??? You would think that fish tacos would be pretty healthy. I guess not. Then I went really crazy and ordered the key-lime cheesecake which was 850 calories. Awful. I know. But in all fairness, there were plenty of more cheesecakes that were 1000 or more calories. So, in retrospect, the key lime flavor was a good option.

Regardless, I enjoyed every bite. So there.

No comments: