Sunday, June 27, 2010

Second 5K


I ran my second 5K today in Stone Harbor. Let me just preface this with the fact that it was VERY hot. The temperature said 77. However, it was so humid. So very humid. Much more humid than it ever gets in Albany. It was steamy humid. Hazy. Hot. Humid.
Chet drove Janis, Felice and me to the starting point. (It was about 20 blocks from our vacation house.) We hung out at the festival that was held before the race and then at 8:45 we took our starting points. There was a LOT less people at this race compared to the Freihofer's Race. Maybe less than 1000. It was a lot easier to run.

The gun banged and we were off. Felice ran with us and kept us on pace. The goal was for us to run the 5K in 30 minutes. We hit the first mile and the time said 9:30. Wow. Did I just run a 9:30 mile??? That was fantastic for me! We kept going and we hit 105th Street - which is the street where our vacation house is located. The hubs and the kids were sitting waiting for us to pass by. As we did, Brian got some pics.

We hit the 2.5 mile mark and that's when things started to get really tough. It was hot. Hotter than heck. I started to feel like I was going to throw up and pass out in the street. I had to stop. I hated to do it - but I just kind of ran out of steam. I had to walk. I really had no choice. I walked for 1 block and started running again. I ran. And ran some more. Then I walked for 2 blocks. Then I ran the last final leg. I crossed the finish line in 30:43 and my pace was 9:51 per mile! Even though I walked I still did two minutes better from my time at the Freihofer's Run. I was pretty happy - but at the same time - I was disappointed that I didn't reach my goal of doing it under 30 minutes. Oh well.

Not bad for my second 5K!!! I had my own personal record!




No comments: