Saturday, August 21, 2010

My Third 5K - Clove Run

Today I ran my third 5K. It was a small race called the Castleton Clove Run. There couldn't have been more than 75 runners in this race. This was definitely the smallest race I have ever run. But - it was nice. It had a nice hometown feel.
-
Plus - the weather was fantastic. Not an ounce of humidity was in the air and it was a nice almost "chilly" morning. In fact, standing around waiting for the race to start, I had to wear a long sleeve shirt!


I ran the race with some of my running buddies, Janis and Jen M. and Brian's colleage from work - Elisa.


Anyway - the horn blasted the start at around 9:20 AM and we were off.
The biggest mistake with this race was that I started too fast. I remember Felice telling me months ago that you cannot start a race too fast and it is very easy to do that. I guess I didn't do it in the Freihofer's run because there was SO many people that you just couldn't run fast in the beginning. And in the Stone Harbor race there was about 400 people and I just managed to keep my pace better. Plus it was hotter than heck at the Stone Harbor race which made it easy to NOT run fast!


Today, though, the horn blasted and I just couldn't help it. I was watching these 3 speedy men in the front of the pack and for some crazy reason, I felt like, "Wow. I can keep up with those guys. I have to go now! Fast!" That lasted for about 1/4 mile and then I realized that I was running way too fast. And by the way - I was no where NEAR the speedy men. They were gone. Leaving me in the dust. (They finished the race in 15 minutes in case you are wondering).

Anway - I started the race so fast that I couldn't catch my breath. I had to pull back and force myself to run slower. I had to take deep breaths and get my pace. It probably took about 1.5 miles until I finally got my groove. I was kicking myself the entire time thinking that I really should have controlled myself and not started so fast. In fact, while I was running, I was having such a hard time that I was thinking my time was going to be WORSE than the Freihofer's Run.

I kept running thinking how lovely it would be to stop and walk for just 30 seconds. But - I didn't walk. I kept going, all the while thinking how running is all mental. I was having conversations with myself again like I did at the past two 5K's. I was thinking how lovely it would be to lay down in the grass and cry "Uncle." However, I didn't do any of these things. I kept going.

Finally, I came into the home stretch and saw Brian with the kids. I looked at him with a face that said, "Holy crap. Shoot me now." He cried out, "You are going to finish in under 30 minutes! Go! Go!" Then I looked at the clock and I realized I was in the 28 minute range. Holy! I was doing better than I thought. I pushed it and sprinted to the finish line.

My official time - 28:46. About 2 minutes better than Stone Harbor and 4 minutes better than Freihofer's. No wonder I was having a hard time. I was running a 9:15 mile. I have never done that before. I was proud.

Next week it's time to go into hard core training for the 10K training in October. I also might run the Labor Day SEFCU race. However, for the next few days, I am just going to kick my feet up and enjoy my personal record of 28:46. To think, that I couldn't run more than 1 minute at a time back in March. Now I can finish a 5K in under 30 minutes. Damn. That makes me happy!






No comments: