Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Rocking the intervals

Today I decided to get back on track with my running schedule and get serious. After all, it's a race week for me and I have kind of been slacking. But that's okay. I have permission from my friend Elisa. She said it's okay to slack after a big run. (Never mind that my big run was over a month ago. We won't talk about that). I am going to be okay with slacking. All runners have a slacking off period. And this is mine.

So here's the plan - I am going to get through my 3.5 mile run on Thursday and then train really hard for the next 2 weeks so I can rock the Freihofer's race.

And then that's when the fun begins with my hill training for my 15K in July. Eeee gaads. I am a little scared. I am thinking I am going to have to stalk the Happy Runner and her neighborhood since she has some serious hills where she lives.

Anyway - back to my original point of this post...my intervals today. I was scheduled to run four 1/2 mile intervals at 8:15 pace. Mmmm. Interesting. Up to this point, I have run six 1/4 mile intervals at 8 minute pace. This was new to me. Intervals at a longer distance...I knew that was coming. Did I really expect to run 1/4 mile intervals forever? No. Not really. But did I really feel like doing this today? Well. Not really. But I did.

I got myself to the gym and rocked those intervals like you wouldn't believe. Never mind that by the fourth interval I was dying. And sweating like a pig. And cursing the running plan. And cursing the Happy Runner for making me do these horrid intervals. Never mind that. Because I managed to crank them out. And that, my friends, was that.

Have a great week!

1 comment:

Felice Devine said...

Curse away! I can take it.

The hills are here and waiting for you -- anytime. Think of the fun! Ha!!!