Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Food storage and freezer chests

About 6-8 months ago, Brian informed me that we needed a food storage area. He said that times were tough and we should have a food storage area "just in case." And he also added that "it's good to be prepared."

At first, I thought he had gone over the edge. Had he gone a little crazy, and watched a little too much Glen Beck? Had he turned into one of those wack-a-doo people that hoard crap stuff in the basement, under their kid's beds and in the closet?

At first, I gave him pushback. I really wasn't into the food idea. But he pushed forward and did his own thing. He organized the unfinished part of our basement and designated some shelves for the food. He also bought a mini tote and labeled it as the "emergency kit". I noticed that it was full of candles, flashlights, batteries, and other emergency stuff that we might need if an earthquake, tornado or blackout occurred in the Albany area. (We might not have a house, but damn it - we would have flashlights and be able to see.)

Then the next thing I knew, he was buying extra food. All of a sudden, extra cans food were appearing in the shelving area. Then there was water, gatorade, mac & cheese and pasta. It just magically appeared. Most recently he has started adding sugar, cereal and rice and dried beans to the shelves. And, yes - it's all dated with a sharpie.

And then I started realizing that it was probably a good idea to be prepared. In fact, I was the one who suggested this past weekend that we invest in a freezer chest. I mean - why not? Then we could buy meat in bulk. We could even store gallons of ice cream! Cool...

And so it didn't take much convincing. I mentioned it to Brian, and a few hours later, we were in the car on our way to Sears. Within the hour, we had our freezer chest and it was set up in our basement.


So - if we have some type of disaster and you need some food, you know what house to come to. I just can't guarantee that we will answer the door.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

It is good to be prepared! I swear we have enough food in this house for a month...if I cut the guys back a little.