Monday, January 2, 2012

Hangover Half Marathon race recap

Ever since my disastrous second half marathon at Schroon Lake back in September, I have wanted to do another half marathon to make up for the miserable time I had. However, it just never worked out to find another one in the fall that worked with my schedule.

I knew in the back of my head, that the other option was the Hangover Half that is held on New Year's day at Suny Albany. I was thinking that there was no way I wanted to do that race. The state campus is a wind tunnel. The course is boring and I had no desire to run 13.1 miles on New Year's day.

But somehow I ended up doing it. Yup. I got myself roped in and yesterday I ran my THIRD half marathon! When I really sat back and thought about it - how could I not do it? The race is FREE to Hudson River Mohawk Runner's Club members (which I am). The weather was crazy good for New Year's in Albany. Temps were in the 50's and it was bright and sunny. And my friends were doing it. So - how could I not do it???? Plus, we didn't go out on New Year's Eve - so I definitely had enough rest and I was NOT hungover!

I went to the race with Janis and Felice and we met up with some other running friends. Some were running the half and some were running the 3.5 mile race. I got myself prepared and after a lot of thought, I decided to run with my Ipod. I have NEVER run a race with my Ipod. Not once. But, knowing the course, and knowing I might end up alone, I decided it was a good idea to have it. 

The race started, and I ran the first 7 miles with Karen and Janis. I didn't really do my run/walk method because I wanted to stay with them and not lose them. I was feeling pretty decent. However, by mile 7, I knew it was time to start my walking. I guess I should mention here that I also forgot my inhaler. Oh boy. Luckily Elisa, let me borrow her inhaler before the race. I took a couple hits and thought I would be good to go. I was fine until I hit mile 10. All of a sudden, my lungs felt like they were on fire and I was forced to walk to catch my breath. I was highly annoyed because I was feeling good otherwise. I just couldn't breathe!  The wind was picking up and I was really wishing I had my inhaler. I was very glad that I had my Ipod with me. My music kept me going and I had lost Janis and Karen at mile 7. So it got me through those last 6 miles.

 I managed to finally get my breathing under control, and finished the race in 2:22:50. It was definitely better than my Schroon Lake time - but not a PR for me. Regardless, I was happy that I have another half marathon under my belt. Plus - it was a great way to start 2012 on a 50 degree day! And now my marathon training begins this week and it feels good knowing my mileage is up my training will be start strong!

Hope you all had a great New Year's day!

1 comment:

Tami mommy of Ten said...

Great job!! You'll do great at the marathon.