Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Fresh farm milk isn't all it's cracked up to be

For the past few weeks, I have been on a milk frenzy. I decided to ditch the normal milk and go organic. In the meantime, I have also been researching fresh farm milk. Today I finally bought some at a local store  in East Greenbush. The store stocks Battenkill Creamery milk which is rated as the highest quality milk in the state.

How could I go wrong? Cold milk in a glass bottle. It doesn't get better than that. Right?


Maddie was with me when I bought the milk and she was very anxious to try it. We got home after picking up Aidan and we decided to taste test the milk. I opened it up and I sniffed it. My first reaction was not a good one. The milk smelled weird. It almost had a sour smell. I knew it wasn't sour - but it just had a non-welcoming smell.

I poured it in a glass for the kids and for myself. Maddie took one gulp and immediately said she thought it was awful.  Aidan had some and didn't seem phased by it at all. He drank it all. I had some and I thought it was horrible. I even kind of gagged on it. Between the taste and the smell, I honestly couldn't drink it. Brian refused to try it after seeing my reaction.

I have to say that I was very bummed out. I had such high hopes for the fresh farm milk in the cute glass bottle. And I guess in retrospect, I knew that the milk would taste different from the normal supermarket milk. I just didn't realize that it would taste different in a bad way.

I really don't think I can drink it. Needless to say, I will not be buying fresh farm milk again. Ever.

No comments: