Monday, October 1, 2012

A new month, a new race, and some goals

It is half marathon week! This will be my fourth half marathon. I am super excited because it's a local race which means that Brian and the kids can be there for me at the finish line. Also, there are a lot of my running friends that are running this race. I mean, I could seriously list about 15 friends I know that are signed up. Plus - a few of those friends are running their very first half marathon!! Yay for them!

I have to admit that I have been a bit of a slacker with my training. Sure, I did my long runs. But I really did not follow my running plan - at all! Not one bit. But, I am okay with that. I really am. I am just running for fun, and I know that the course is flat - so unless I really screw up, I am thinking that this will be a fairly easy race.

I have a few goals.

My A goal is to finish in 2:05. Yeah. I know. I doubt that will happen.

My B goal is to finish in 2:10. Ummmm. Not sure that this will be possible either.

My C goal is to finish in 2:15. I do think this is possible. My PR is 2:20. I feel confident that I can knock off 5 minutes. Remember, my PR is from my first half marathon, and that was about a year and a half ago. I have come a long way since then. So, I think my C goal is attainable.

Would I love to reach my A goal? Of course!  And I am going to try like heck to get there. But, I just refuse to be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Anyway - I ran 86 miles in September. That is my highest month since April when I ran 106 miles. I would love to reach 1,000 miles by year-end. In order to do that, I need to run 83 miles in October, November, and December. I think that is an attainable goal. The only thing stopping me is that I really have no major races in those months. So that means I won't be in full training mode, which means I might not be running a ton of miles.


And that's that! Hope you all have a great week... I will make sure I am hydrating, eating well, and getting some rest.


No comments: