Sunday, November 11, 2012

Valatie 5K Veterans Day race recap

I ran a 5K yesterday. I literally decided to run it last Wednesday. Felice suggested it and I figured, why not?

It was only $15 and it supported a good cause. Luckily, yesterday was a gorgeous weather day and the race started at 10 AM - which was an added bonus. It's always nice not to have to wake up at the crack of dawn for a race.

Felice and I left my house at 9 AM and arrived in the cute town of Valatie. We parked and went and got our race bib and then made a quick bathroom stop. Then we ran into our friend Karen. That was a nice surprise!

The race was very low key with probably only about 100 runners. They didn't even any water stops or mile markers on the course. The route was very flat and it was a nice small-town country run. 

As usual I started out too fast, and I was sucking wind for the first half mile. I finally settled into a groove and  was feeling good. I was able to finish strong despite the hill that was literally during the last part of the race. It's never fun to end a race on an uphill. I managed to kick it in and I crossed the finish line at 25:58! 

That was a PR for me! I was very excited. I have never run a race in the 25 minute range! I was thrilled. I wasn't expecting to PR during this race so I was a very happy girl!

Sometimes those small races are the best ones to run!

No comments: