Thursday, November 27, 2014

Troy Turkey Trot and a random turkey tip

Today I ran the Troy Turkey Trot 10k. It was my second time running it, and I was a bit nervous about how things would pan out since we had a decent -size snow storm yesterday. In addition, I have three small stitches in my leg from a minor procedure I had two days ago. I honestly wasn't sure how things would go.

When my alarm went off this morning, I honestly wanted to bag the whole thing. My bed was nice and warm. It was snowy outside. And it was cold. But - I dragged myself up and got ready and off I went to meet a few running friends to drive to Troy. Once the race started, I realized that the course was different. It turned out to be much better than before. It was an out and back course, instead of the double loop that I was familiar with. I much prefer an out and back course - so I was happy. My leg seemed to feel fine once I got started running, and the streets of Troy were totally clear of snow. So it was all good.  I trucked along with Danielle. (We lost Melissa D. at the start).

I honestly felt great the whole race. I definitely did not set a PR. But that's okay. I wasn't out to race today. I just wanted to get a good run in, and enjoy the race. And that's what I did. I crossed the finish line in 58 minutes. I felt grateful for the beautiful morning, some good friends, and feeling strong with my running. That's all a girl needs - right?

Meanwhile - back at the ranch - I was hosting Thanksgiving for my parents. But - life was pretty stress-free at my house. We tried something different this year. We cooked the turkey yesterday. Yup. And let me tell you that it was the best idea - ever.

First of all - it freed up oven space for today. Second of all, all the nonsense that goes along with the turkey was taken care of yesterday. Brian was able to carve it last night and separate the white and dark meat in 2 pans. Then we were able to deal with the turkey carcass and clean up all the pans. Today, we simply had to reheat the turkey in the oven. So simple! Right? I say so. I will definitely be doing this next year.

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!


No comments: