Friday, April 17, 2015

Frugal things

Most of you who know me know that I love to be frugal. I am always looking for new ways to save money, and find a deal.  One of the things that I would like to do with this blog is to post some bullet points about what I did in the past few weeks to stick to my passion of being frugal.

1. We happened to have a wedding to go to last Saturday. I also happened to need a haircut. So I scheduled my haircut for Saturday morning before we left for the wedding. That way I ensured cute styled hair for the wedding since my hairdresser could blow it out and make it way more pretty than I ever can. (Not exactly frugal since I was spending money, but I did manage to utilize the haircut prettiness for an event).

2. We are trying to plan a vacation for the end of August. Brian really wants to go to Gettysburg. However, my parents recently bought a condo in Florida. So, I think we are going to fly down there in August. We have a free place to stay since we have the condo. And I can use my reward points on my credit card towards Southwest airline tickets. My rationale was we would probably spend close to $1000 driving to Gettysburg and staying in a hotel and eating and doing activities. Or we could spend less than $1000 on airline tickets, and have a free place to stay and have a pool and the ocean. Plus we can grocery shop while we are there and save money on eating out. Win win!

3. I was tempted to run a 10K on Saturday. The price was $25. I almost registered. But then I decided I really didn't want to spend the money. So I am running a 10K with some running friends instead and I am running a new route that I have never done before. Free run. New route. Friends. Win Win!

4. Our wedding anniversary is today. Instead of going out to a fancy dinner, Brian and I met for lunch. We had burgers and milkshakes. It was a lunch date and it was cheap. And better yet - it was super fun! And we tried a new burger place that neither of us had ever been to. Tonight was a busy night with soccer for Aidan and girl scouts for Maddie. So after the kids are in bed, we will watch Sons of Anarchy. Cheap date night.

5. Ever since we moved into our house, I have hated our mailbox. I have always wanted to replace it - but it has never been a priority. Well - last week, we woke up one morning to our mailbox smashed to smithereens all over our front lawn! We are not sure what happened. But there were tire tracks on our lawn and the mailbox was in pieces all over our grass. Not good. But on the upside - this was my chance to get a new mailbox! Did you know that mailboxes are super pricey? Some of them can run upwards of $300!! And the posts can be super expensive too. We managed to get a post, and a new mailbox, along with the materials that are needed to install the mailbox for under $75. And I liked what we got. It is simple, but nice.

6. My kids are suddently growing out of their uniforms.Their last day of school is in Mid-June. I do not want to get them new stuff now. So I am utilizing the used hand me down uniform room at school. There are tons of shirts, pants, and blouses that are in perfect condition. Yay for used uniforms!

What have you done to stay frugal?
Have a great weekend!




No comments: