Saturday, January 7, 2017

Exercise and such

It was a year ago when I started to do more cross training. You can read about that here.

I am happy to say that I am still doing cross training. I am still taking classes, and when my schedule allows, I try to do some type of Boot Camp or core class.

That explains why my running mileage for 2016 was lower than normal. I spent a lot more time cross training and was running less miles. But remember, the cross training ultimately helped me in my runs. So, even though I only ran 851 miles for 2016, I was okay with that because my runs were more efficient.

I also spent time in 2016 running with a group of women who are fast. They are much faster with me, and because of that, it was making me run faster. So, the combination of cross training, and faster runs has been a good challenge for me.

Today, I tried a new boot camp class. This one was 30 minutes. I have to admit, I really like the 30 minute class. It feels like an express class. I am getting my workout in, but it isn't taking a whole hour. Because let's face it...sometimes an hour is hard to fit in. And sometimes I don't want to work out for an hour. Anyway, this 30 minute class was tough. It is hard to believe that something can be so hard for 30 minutes. But the reason is because you are constantly moving and there is little rest time. Today's boot camp consisted of kettle balls, medicine ball figure eights, TRX straps, squatting in one position, and other fun hellish activities.

After 30 minutes of boot camp, I decided I wanted more, and jumped in on a group exercise class that involved a LOT of cardio and jumping.

I think a nap will be in order for later today.

One of my goals for 2016 is to continue with my cross training, and really try to suck it up and do the harder  classes so I can become stronger. Another goal is to run a half marathon. I didn't run a half in 2016. So, I would like to run two this year and get back to my routine of running a spring half and a fall half.

What exercise are you doing? Whatever it is, make it work for you! It's all about being healthy and feeling good.


No comments: