Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Brown Couch

I have a bit of a sleeping problem. I toss and turn and I would say 2 out of 7 nights during the week, I need to retreat downstairs to the big, brown couch. I guess you could say that I have Restless Leg Syndrome. I self diagnosed myself a while ago. I really don't need a doctor to tell me what I already know. My legs twitch and move and I feel like I need to take a giant run around the block to cure it.

The restless leg syndrome kicks in at the worst times. It has happened on long flights. It has happened on short car rides when I am the passenger. Once I even had to make Brian pull over and we had to switch places and I had to drive. (As long as I am moving - it feels better. If I am sitting still - it is terrible! ) It has happened laying on the couch watching a movie. It has happened in the movie theatre. But -worst of all - it happens when I am in bed and want to fall asleep. The twitching starts and my legs start jumping and I can't get comfortable and it is just not a good situation -for anyone involved.

However - I have discovered a cure for myself. I need to leave the comfort of my bed and retreat down 2 flights to our finished basement and go to sleep on the brown couch. I am not sure why this helps. But - it does. I like to think it is the confinement of a smaller space. I can curl up in the fetal position and my knees can rest on the back of the couch and it just gives me a comfort and helps me fall peacefully to sleep.

This happened last night. In the morning - Brian always asks me what happened. "Why did you end up on the couch last night?" he asks. I reply, "Restless legs." It is an understanding between us and he gets it immediately. He ends up happier with the bed to himself and without a twitching person beside him and I end up happier in my confined space on the brown couch.

I love that couch. It has lulled me to sleep on many a night.

1 comment:

The G Family said...

Those darn restless legs again!
I don't like to hear about them too much b/c I'm afraid if I try to imagine the feeling hard enough...I could get them too. I want no part of that!

Maybe it's time to invest in a chaise lounge for your bedroom?? Then again- maybe you should just stick w/ what works!