Thursday, June 5, 2008

Topsoil and clothing

Today is a sad day. Brian's grandfather passed away and today is the wake and tomorrow is the funeral.
So -the inevitable question comes up - "What to wear?" Especially when you are 3 months pregnant and things are starting not to fit so well.
So - this led me to go on a shopping trip this morning. Of course - it is probably silly to shop for anything now because I know it won't fit in a matter of a few months. But - I needed something to wear - right?
So - I started off at Ann Taylor Loft. I had a gift card there. My mother told me that Ann Taylor is going out of business. Which -by the way-is not true. I asked the sales lady and she told me some stores are closing - but they are not going out of business. So - anyway - I went looking for a black skirt. I left the store with a shirt. Mission NOT accomplished.

Then I went to Kohl's. On my way to Kohl's Brian called me and asked me to pick up topsoil so he could plant some grass seed. WHAT? Doesn't he know I am looking for clothing? Topsoil is the last thing on my mind right now. Then he asked me when I would be home. Translation="HURRY UP!"

So this made me feel rushed. How is a girl supposed to shop when she is rushed - let alone a pregnant girl who is already feeling sensitive about her whale-like stomach, hips and legs? The answer to that is that it is physically and mentally impossible.

So - I run into Kohl's. Run over to their Vera Wang section. Which - by the way is totally cool that Vera Wang is at Kohl's. If you haven't been - check it out. Cute clothing. I grab some dresses. I run over to another section and grab some more dresses and run to the cash register where the line is literally 10 people deep. AGH! I am still rushing. I wait and wait and wait. Finally it is my turn. I pay.

I get in my car and contemplate not getting the topsoil. I rationalize this by thinking, "Does Brian really want to plant grass seed on the day we have to go to his grandfather's wake?" At the same time I get a phone call from a friend of mine who was pregnant with her 2nd baby and was due on the 31st. She delivered her baby 2 days late on the side of the road! Literally. They never made it to the hospital. So - mother and baby are fine. But she was calling me to warn me that the 2nd baby comes fast and make sure I get to the hospital right away. (Mental note to self: in 6 months when I am due - make sure I get to the hospital as soon as I feel any pain).

Anyway - I am still driving on the highway and still contemplating whether I really want to get topsoil. Maybe I can tell Brian that I forgot it. After all - I am pregnant and I do forget things a lot. But - my guilt gets the best of me and I go to Hewitt's and get the darn topsoil.

So - here I am - I should be in the shower and getting dressed and I still don't know what to wear. But - Brian did plant his grass seed!

2 comments:

Felice Devine said...

Who had her baby on the side of the road?!?!?! That is crazy. Definitely one of my worst nightmares.

Unknown said...

You're insane.