Monday, April 26, 2010

Book Review - Walk Like You Have Somewhere to Go

It's time for another book review. This time I reviewed, "Walk Like You Have Somewhere To Go" by Lucille O'Neal.

In this book Lucille O'Neal - who is the mother of Shaquille O'Neal - shares candidly about the ups and downs in her life.

She takes her readers through her childhood, which included a broken home; her teen years, which included being a single mom to Shaquille; her young adult years, which included marriage, being a military wife, and having three more babies; and adulthood, which included Shaq's move to the NBA. She talks about how her family goes from rags to riches, how she earned her college degree, and why she eventually divorced her husband. Throughout it all, Ms. O'Neal describes her struggles with alcohol and how she deals with broken family relationships. Her mother was a great influence in her life, and Ms. O'Neal gives her the credit for helping her build a foundation of faith, which wavered greatly over the years.

Although the book was an easy read - I have to admit that I did not like it very much. It seemed to drag in parts and I found it a bit boring. Also, at times, I felt like I was wandering aimlessly on a path with little direction of where she was taking the reader. Her thoughts skipped and jumped with little to no thought of what she wanted to say.

I was also expecting Ms. O'Neal to write more about Shaquille O'Neal in the book. I was hoping she would talk more about his life.

All -in all - I would not recommend this book. It was just "okay" for me and there are better books out there.

No comments: