Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day 5K at SEFCU

This morning I ran my fourth 5K. It was a little different than the past 5K's.

The main reason was that Brian and the kids decided not to join me. I drove there alone and met up my with my running pal Jen F. She was there with her husband and 2 kids. We hung out, chatted and talked about what we wanted our times to be.

The weather was perfect. Sunny with a breeze. No humidity. Perfect day for a morning run.

Before we knew it, it was time to line up. I was determined not to start too fast like I did at the Clove Run a few weeks ago. It was easier to run slower because there was more people. I would say there was about 500 runners. Maybe more.

The horn blew and we were off. I started slow and a lot of people passed me. I kept telling myself, "That's okay. Run your own race." I kept going and when I hit mile 1 I was at 9:16. Good. I was on track. I kept going and I always curse between mile 1 and 2. Not sure why - but it feels like it's FOREVER! Anyway, I finally hit mile 2 and that's when it got tough. From mile 2 to 2.6 there was a hill. It wasn't steep. But it was long. And I felt like it was never going to end. I got through it and hit the home stretch. I ran under the finish line at 29:21.

I didn't beat my time from the Clove Run which was 28:46. It's hard not to feel discouraged about that. But - I guess you can't beat all of your times and it's hard to compare courses too.

Anyway - that's that. Next 5K is the Race for the Cure on October 2nd.

No comments: