Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A sticky situation

For all of Maddie's life - I have been strict about something. Well, let's face it. I have been strict about a lot of things. But one thing that I really have been strict about is the fact that she is NOT allowed to chew gum. I am not sure why I am so strict about it. I guess I grew up with my own mother being strict about it - so maybe it rubbed off on me. Also, I just didn't need my 5 year old daughter chomping away on gum. It just looked kind of - well - it looked kind of not so lady-like.

No gum for kid. Nope. Never. No way. No how.

Until today.

I changed my mind. But I have a very good reason.

When Maddie got home from school, there was a note from Mrs. R. She basically asked me if I would send in gum to school because she believes that if Maddie chews gum throughout the school day, then she will stop sucking her thumb. Mmmmm. Interesting. She went on to tell me that she thinks Maddie is very "oral" and needs to have something in her mouth. It's true. If she isn't sucking her thumb, then she is biting her nails. And if she isn't biting her nails, then she is chewing on her necklace. Her mouth has to be kept busy. So - I guess - why not let her chew gum???? It's actually a brilliant idea. Why hadn't I thought of this before?

As soon as I read the note, I was anxious to try it. We went to go get Aidan at daycare, and I could put the theory to the test. Normally, as soon as we get in the car, Maddie's thumb goes to her mouth. Well - not today! I told her that she was getting a special treat and because she was such a big girl, she was allowed to have some gum. She was so excited. You would have thought the kid won the lottery. I broke a piece of SUGARLESS gum in half and gave it to her. I gave her special instructions on how gum is NOT to be swallowed and she just has to chew it and it will make her breath nice and fresh.

She chewed away. She chewed and chewed and smiled. And amazingly, her thumb stayed AWAY from her mouth. It was working! About 2 miles from our house, her arms went up to her mouth and she looked upset. She said, "Mommy, I have to tell you something and I don't want to tell you."

"Maddie - tell mommy what happened. Did you drop the gum?"

"No mom. Don't be mad. I swallowed it."

Figures. Well - she never had gum before. I guess it takes some getting used to. I gave her the other half and she must have gotten the hang of it because she chewed it until dinner time.

And guess what?

She DID NOT suck her thumb!

I guess we will be sending gum to school tomorrow. How strange is that??? Maddie's teacher is actually requesting gum! Don't most kids get their gum taken away if they chew it at school? Sometimes life is too funny!

No comments: