Sunday, December 18, 2011

Albany Last Run 5K report

Last night I ran the Albany Last Run. I was very excited to run this race. I didn't do it last year as it was my grandfather's 90th birthday party. So this year I was definitely excited to run it. And it's a popular race that closes out at 1500 runners. I registered a while ago so I could make sure that I had a spot.

The race started at 5 PM  and there were fireworks that went off prior to the start. Let's just say that it was COLD. Very cold.  I was dressed in layers but I was shivering before we started moving. I met up with Janis, Elisa, Gail and Darlene. I never found my other running buddies - Jen M., Amanda and Tami. The plan was to run a nice trot through Albany and enjoy the lights in the park. I was by no means trying to get a PR (personal record).

We all stuck together and trotted along, chatting and having fun. The race was a bit of a cluster. People were darting in and out we had to watch where we were going because it was dark and there were ruts in the street. At mile 3 I picked it up a bit and enjoyed the 1 mile downgrade. I was cruising along. I crossed the finish line at 31:08. I have not finished a race in over 30 minutes in a VERY long time. But as I said - I wasn't running to race. I was just running to enjoy the lights. But - it did feel kind of strange to take that long to finish a 5K.

Anyway - after we were finished, we walked up to El Mariachi and chowed down on guacamole, chips an d salsa and a well deserved margarita. It was a fun night!

Janis and me before the start of the race.
 Can you tell we are freezing?




Me, Elisa and Janis hiding behind our "masks"
to block the wind.

No comments: