Sunday, February 19, 2012

Healthier syrup?

My kids are syrup fiends over here at the Graber household. They love syrup on their waffles. Lots and lots of syrup. Me - not so much. I have never been a syrup fan. It is sticky and sweet, and if I use it at all - I only use the tiniest amount possible.

I am the first to admit that the ingredients in syrup are not healthy. In fact, the first two ingredients are corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup. Ick and double ick. But my kids are not fans of the real maple syrup which has doesn't have the "junk" in it that normal store syrup has. So - what's a mom to do?

Well - I found this great homemade syrup recipe!

I whipped up a batch today and it took less than 10 minutes. The ingredients included buttermilk, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda and vanilla. That's it! No junk. No corn syrup. No other crazy ingredients. And the best part about it was that EVERYONE in my household LOVED it. We all taste tested it and Maddie raved about how good it was. Brian gave it the okay and Aidan gave it a thumbs up too.

Buttermilk syrup. It kind of looks like beer!

Would you rather have the junky store brand syrup or the
homemade healthier syrup?

Another photo - nice and foamy on top. (Again - kind of looks like a beer!)

So there you go. The best thing about this recipe is that the syrup has a caramel flavor. And the buttermilk adds a nice, creamy texture. I am almost anxious for breakfast tomorrow so we can test this out on waffles!

No comments: