Sunday, February 26, 2012

Some granola and whole wheat bread

As I have mentioned before, I am trying to feed my family a more healthy diet. And since I gave up cookies for Lent, I am chomping at the bit to eat something sweet and crunchy.


Yesterday I whipped up a batch of homemade granola bars! Thanks to my mom for this yummy recipe, I now have a healthy snack. Doesn't it look delicious? Well, it is! The ingredients include oats, craisins, honey, egg whites, oil, wheat germ, and walnuts. I didn't have walnuts, so I substituted them for pecans. And I also threw in some flax seed for good measure. You really can't mess this recipe up. Press the ingredients into a WELL greased foiled pan and bake it for 30 minutes. And there you go! Easy granola. I just broke it up into pieces and now I have a healthy treat that kind of reminds me of a cookie! Brian even likes my granola. The best part about it - is that it is way cheaper than buying a box of granola bars and I am sure it's a heck of a lot healthier!

Then, today I decided to get back to basics and bake some bread. I found a recipe for whole wheat sandwich bread and I got to work. Right now I am waiting for it to rise. Then it will go into a loaf pan and hopefully I will have some healthy sandwich bread that contains only flour, water, oil, honey and yeast. Yup. Wholesome, healthy bread.

I am just a homemade making machine over here at the Graber household. Hope you had a great weekend!

No comments: