Saturday, January 19, 2013

Switching it up vacation style

This year our vacation is taking a little bit of a different turn. For the past eight years, we have gone to the beach. It started in Delaware when Maddie was only three months old. Then after that it moved to Stone Harbor, NJ for a few years. We switched things up one year and went to Branford, CT. But then we realized that our true vacation love was Stone Harbor, so it was back to Jersey for a few more years. Throughout the years, we have rented a huge house with other families. It has ranged from just four families, to as many as six families. And it has been a blast. In fact, it's hard to believe that we have done this for the past eight years.

This year, for many reasons, we are taking a year off.
Gasp.
The horror.

I know. I was in denial about it for a while. It was sad for me to come to grips with it. After all, our family vacation has been with our friends since Maddie was alive. Would it be weird to go on vacation...alone? Just the four of us? How strange. Would my kids be bored without having other kids to play with? Would I be  bored without my girlfriends? Would Brian be bored without having his buddies to play beer-pong? Yes. They do play beer pong. At 40 years old.

The answer is yes. We would probably all be bored. I know that I personally would miss my friends. So a beach vacation was out. No way. No how.

So we are switching it up. We are going to Disney. Believe it or not, I have never been to Walt Disney World. Brian has not gone either. I know. How strange. After all, hasn't everyone been to Disney? Apparently not us. We are Disney virgins!  With all my travels, I just have never been there. Even more strange, I have been to Orlando on a business trip! How has a girl been to Orlando and not been to Disney? I know. Such a weird phenomenon!

I should let you all know that Brian has been a bit against resistant about the Disney trip. It just hasn't been on his "to-do" list. In fact, his idea of a fun vacation is a trip to Gettysburg. Yup. You read that right. Gettysburg. As in a historical vacation. Ummmm. No thank you. Yawn. Snore. Ba-bye.

So what's a girl to do to get her husband on board with a Disney trip? Well, that's an easy answer. I turned to my kids. All they had to do was tell Daddy how much they wanted to go to Disney, and it didn't take long for Brian to come around. After all, who can say no to these faces?



And so, our planning is beginning! The plan is to go in November.Good thing I have lots of months to research and...research! Oh, what fun!

And next year, I dare hope that we will be back in Stone Harbor with our vacation friends!


No comments: