Thursday, January 5, 2017

My Pillow Fail

I am sure you all have seen the My Pillow commercials. After all, the owner of My Pillow is ALWAYS on TV raving about his pillows and how great they are. The owner personally guarantees that it will be the most comfortable pillow I will ever own. I will admit I have gotten sucked in many a time to the infomercial. I mean, who doesn't want a great night's sleep where your head is aligned with the rest of your body? I mean, that's not too much to ask. Right?

The owner of My Pillow


I had always thought about buying the pillow. But then the price point stopped me each time. I mean really. Who pays that much for a pillow? I am all about buying the $5 pillow at Target. Those $5 pillows have served me well over the years, and I have no guilt about throwing them out when we need new ones.

Anyway, somehow a few weeks before Christmas, I stumbled upon QVC. And there he was! The My Pillow man. He was on QVC talking up his pillows again. I admit it. I got sucked in. I watched. I watched some more. I decided that this would be a great idea for a Christmas present for Brian. After all, he had gotten sucked in to watching the infomercials with me too. I knew he would appreciate getting a My Pillow.
What man doesn't want a My Pillow for a great night's sleep??!!

QVC happened to have a reduced price, plus it was on EZ Pay. I figured, "Why not?" I called the number. I ordered it. And bam. My Pillow was on its way to my house.

As promised, it arrived 3 days before Christmas. Two pillows came in the package, and I wrapped both of them and put them under the tree. I secretly couldn't wait for Christmas morning and to try it out that night. I was ready for my great night's sleep!!!

Christmas came, and Brian opened the pillows. I was so excited that he would be jumping for joy. But, alas. He did not jump for joy. He kind of looked at me like I had 3 heads. "What's the matter?" I asked. "You have always wanted a My Pillow. We watched the infomercials together and always talk about it."

He raised his eyebrows at me, and said, "I think it's YOU who wanted the My Pillow. But, thanks....this is....great."

Mmmm. Maybe my choice of Christmas present for him was not so great after all. But never mind. He would change his tune as soon as he slept on it that night and got "the best night's sleep ever!"

I set up the pillows on our bed. They seemed rather puffy. But that's okay. I was sure they would be great.

That night, we went to bed. When I first put my head on the pillow, I felt like it was fat. My head was up higher than the rest of my body. I actually like a flatter pillow. Wasn't my head supposed to sink into this pillow? It wasn't doing that though. I tossed and turned and tried to get comfortable. I finally fell asleep, and I woke up with my back hurting. This wasn't how this was supposed to be. Maybe I just had to get used to it. I didn't want to tell Brian, so when he woke up, I asked, "Did you have the best night sleep ever?"

He looked at me strangely and said, "Sure honey. It was...great."

I didn't dare admit that my back was hurting. It had to be from doing something at the gym. It  couldn't be the pillows. After all, these pillows are guaranteed to have my body in alignment. How can my back be hurting? A few more days went by and my back kept hurting. I didn't want to admit it  - but it had to be because of the pillows.

The turning point came a week later. Brian woke up and announced that his back was hurting.

I almost laughed with relief. "My back is hurting too!" I said. "I didn't want to tell you because I thought you liked the pillows, so I was just going to live with it. But if your back is hurting - we have to send them back!"

And with that, we packed up the two pillows in a box and I sent them back to QVC.

And then after that, I marched myself to Target and got 2 more $5 pillows. Merry Christmas Brian!
Needless to say, we are both enjoying our $5 pillows.


No comments: